Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Can you remember when

You have probably heard stories, rumors, legends, and alot of stuff across the bar but the truth is snowboarding was an outlaws sport. In the beginning we weren't allowed to ride the lifts, or the slopes and had to hike off to find places to ride. Snowboarding culture has always had the chance to tap into the goods and left skiing to our parents and such. As time has passed, have we become those same people?. As an example, I love Snurfing, I had a disgruntled shuttle driver yelling me off the hill, an event organizer telling me the mountain was "concerned",  and the cutting yell of "its not allowed" and the latest story of "Johnny Law" cracking down on an lone "Snurfer".
Its all music to my ears, if they don't want to allow it, then it will happen.
Snurfing is to much fun, learn about it, try it and share it with your family and friends, it just might make your live a little bit better. JG

3 comments:

  1. I remember when we were all brothers and sisters on the hill: if you saw somebody on a board you didn't know, you would know them by the end of the day. This is one of the things that kept me in snowboarding, and the corruption of that outlaw brotherhood by an influx of people who boarded to be cool, not to board, is what ended my career. Fortunately, this sport has given me so many great friends who I am proud to know on and off the hill, not the least of whom is the author of this blog. You da man, Jeff! And JG is right: my kids will gladly hike and snurf, even though our place is right near the slopes. You probably won't get wealthy doing this, Jeff, but you sure make us all richer for the experiences you help deliver>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when...being chased of the mountain even before it was open for the season and at the same time being asked...Is that fun? Where did you get that thing?

    Those were the days of not knowing I was part of a very small subculture that would someday blossom into what was called a life style sport.

    I followed my passion, moved to the mountains (Summit County 1983) and began a journey that was multifaceted within the snowboard industry.

    Thanks for your positive vibes and input Jeff and that first time we met in Aspen, hiked Ajax and snowboarded down under a full moon (1985 I think) and all the events that we worked together. Your stoke and overall enthusiasm was part of the puzzle that gave me a fabulous life of sliding on the snow in a regular foot kinda way.

    Much love my friend and to what our future holds,

    Jimmy Sechrest

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot that I could write with passion and realize when it comes out of your soul it must be true. I appreciate the comments. Jg

    ReplyDelete